Today is my 27th birthday. This is a big deal. It’s not a big deal because it’s my birthday— I absolutely detest being the center of attention, so a public celebration is out of the question. It’s a big deal for other reasons, that I won’t expound upon at the moment. Let’s just say that I’ve looked forward to being 27 since I was 15, so right now I’m a pretty happy girl.
I spent an hour or so at a coffee shop yesterday morning, to think, process, and write. I loooooove new chapters in life— new years, new journals, birthdays, anniversaries— because it gives me the chance to stop, look back, and to hope/dream forward. I wrote out four lists for myself, and my goals for the year. Twenty-seven is a big year for me, so it’s worth taking time to think about.
- Learn to love running (and exercise in general)
- Spend regular time with family
- Establish (and maintain) a healthy budget
- Memorize Ephesians (halfway through chapter 2!)
- Pray more, talk less
- Read through the Bible
- Write more— once every two weeks
- Slow down. Remember to savor life, and then do it.
- Lose ten pounds
- Go on two vacations— one with family, one alone.
- Characterized by joyful contentment
- Shoot 25 weddings and 40 portrait sessions
- Hire part-time office manager
- Work with two interns
- Re-work pricing structure (move to à la Carte by April)
- Stay better connected with my clients
- Master good business systems
- Promo video
- Update (overhaul?) website
- Do a mentorship of some sort (Mike Larson? Zach & Jody Gray?)
- Start & launch a formal mentorship of some sort, specifically for weddings (start by July)
- Specialize— figure out what I’m best at, and base my entire business model on that work
- Business insurance
- Create a good work space / environment
- Replace camera / update back-up equipment
- Purchase 1-2 zoom lenses and 2 primes
- Find good equipment transport cases
- Network with more DC-area wedding professionals
- Foster and invest in the photography community, both locally and online (Showit and P31)
- Establish (and stick to) set work hours
- Master reception lighting
- Hire someone to evaluate my brand
“To Be” List
- Thoughtful & sincere, warm & loving
- The woman who has time to listen, care for, and love on people
- Deep (don’t let my busyness and stress suppress my sensitivity and care)
- More grounded, less crazy
- Canon 1DX and Canon 5D Mk3
- Visit Italy
- Shoot one destination wedding
- Be everything on my “to be” list
- Start speaking at photography meetings, conventions, etc.
. . .
So that’s what I hope for / plan for my 27th year of life. How about you? Any new dates or chapters coming up?